Registration and more Information
On Friday, August 15, 2014, at the Dripping Springs Ranch Park Event Center, the City of Dripping Springs, the first Dark Sky Community in Texas, and the International Dark Sky Association Texas (IDA Texas) present “Better Lights for Better Nights” Conference, a day-long event designed to educate and inform attendees about the advantages and importance of using artificial light at night only where and when it’s needed. Vendors and exhibitors will be sharing displays and demonstrations, and organized sessions led by professionals and educators, will cover:
- Detailed education addressing the challenges presented by outdoor lighting, including:
- Energy costs and economic impact to your area
- Actual safety & security versus the illusion of security
- Light trespass and saving our common view of the sky
- Health & ecological consequences of artificial light at night
- Ordinances and Texas laws: examples on how some municipalities have put forth ordinances and guidance on implementing new/improved lighting regulations
- Instruction on the finer details of inspections/enforcement of such ordinances
- Solutions for unincorporated areas
Along with the sessions, in which lunch will be provided, we’ll have a reception to meet and mingle, a barbecue dinner provided by our generous sponsor, The Salt Lick, and, a bus tour of Dripping Springs to see how Better Lights do indeed make for Better Nights.
The registration fee includes all the seminars, a box lunch, afternoon snack, reception, barbecue dinner and bus tour. Registration check-in will begin at 10:00am – the first session will begin at 11:00am. Vendors and exhibits will be available for viewing beginning at 10:00am; we invite you to come early and peruse the items and information that will be on display.
Dripping Springs is the first Dark Sky Community in Texas, and is among the first to host such an event. We hope you will participate in this conference to help protect our night skies and keep our Texas stars shining brightly.
Regular registration due no later than Tuesday, July 15, 2014. Any registrations submitted past this date will be $60 per attendee
Registration closes on Friday, August 1, 2014. Space is limited.
Note that after Aug. 1st, payments are non-refundable